07 September 2008

Technology, I hets it

or, how I can be such an idiot.....

Sunday mornings have developed into the habit of hiking/trail running. I've even got Hubby coming with me - woo hoo!!! I go to get a little trail running in since I signed up for a trail run in October. Hubby goes to collect lilikoi for the birds. It's a win/win. I get a run, the birds get lilikoi and Hubby gets a little activity in.

For the last couple of weeks I've been taking my Garmin as I've been tracking my calories via HRM. Also the Garmin does distance and I'm a sucker for that. But the HRM hasn't been working on it. I replaced the battery two weeks ago and I still haven't been able to get it to work. I took it today after downloading new software for it and was confident it would work. It didn't. I was getting very frustrated after having scoured the web looking for solutions and none of them worked. UGH!!!

Then I had a radical thought. I picked up the instruction book. I looked up HRM troubleshooting. They had a whole list of things to do, most of which I had already done. Then, at the bottom, was a suggestion to restart the scan. HUH??? What the heck are they talking about??? So I followed the instructions and low and behold the HRM started working. Basically it didn't know I had a HRM. I wondered why it didn't know when I remembered doing that when I first got it. Then I remembered that a couple of weeks ago it started acting funky and giving me strange information. It was bringing up multi-sport timing from a year ago. When I searched around for how to fix that I was told to reset the thing. So I made sure everything was downloaded then I reset it. And guess what? I never turned the HRM back on. DOH!!!! Technology is going to be the death of me, I swear!!!!

In other news, I ran again :) It was trail running and it wasn't far but it was right after yesterdays run. I ran about 1.25 miles in about 25-30 minutes. Not too shabby. The exciting part was my heel did not hurt all day yesterday. It did not hurt this morning. And it did not hurt during the run. I came home and stretched good and I'm resting it on ice right now. I think with a little care, ice and stretching, I'll be fine running. I don't run again until Tuesday so we'll see how it goes then.

I'm off now to clean birdie cages and do laundry. Oh fun!!!

1 comment:

Vickie said...

People don't realize how long these things take to heal. Glad the heel is healed!

And another week goes by

 In the blink of an eye. To rehash this week:  Hubby had been doing good, slowly getting better Then on Wednesday he seemed to suddenly get ...