10 June 2008

Not a chill to the winter but a nip in the air

I lay in bed listening to the rain and trying to convince myself that I shouldn't ride my bike in the rain. Luckily I failed. The alarm went off and I popped out of bed like a jack-in-the-box and was ready to tackle my workout. It was going to be a tough one and I was really looking forward to it.

On the schedule was intervals. On the bike and running. Intervals. For the bike I was supposed to do 5 - 3 minute intervals @ 90% with 4 minutes rest @ 60%, plus 5 minutes warm-up and cool down. It was dark with ominous black clouds and wet pavement, but I headed out anyway. My 5 minute warm up was easy enough though there was a little nip in the from the dark and the rain. I did my intervals and could feel it in my legs due to my strength training session yesterday. The last interval was tough but the cool down was fun. Now to the run.

I actually faced a choice at this point. I could head out on my run intervals or I could do them at lunch. Doing them at lunch really would have been the easy way out. My legs were worked from the bike and I could feel every muscle in them. I knew that running at this point would be slow and painful. I also knew that I would get a lot of benefit from doing that since that is what triathlon is all about. So I put on my running shoes and headed out. Oh momma it hurt. I did my 5 minute warm up with a slow shuffle. I figured as long as I was moving I was doing good. My intervals were supposed to be 3 minutes @90% and 1 minute recovery, 5 times. The first interval starts. I take off. I immediately want to collapse on the ground and cry uncle. But I toughed it out. 3 minutes is a freaking long time. But I did it. It wasn't as fast as I'd hoped but I held a good pace for the entire time. The one minute rest comes and I had to walk. I was a little disappointed with myself but, again, I kept moving. The next 3 minute interval started and I took off running. I managed to finish all 5 intervals even though I walked during the recovery. By the time I was done the sun was up and the sweat was pouring off me. I needed a microfiber mop to clean it all up :) It was tough and painful and I felt like a track star when I was finished. Plus now I don't have to think all morning about doing this at lunch.

I've been having some pain when riding my bike lately and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. My back was hurting and my knee would bother me. This morning I realized what was wrong. For some reason I wasn't keeping my knees straight ahead but they were sticking out to the side. Clipped in that put pressure on my knees and my back. I don't know when or why I started that. I made it a point of keeping my knees pointing forward and I had no pain. Heh!!! Who knew???

So my toughest workout this week is done and I'm excited. Now I have to go figure out how many WW points that's worth :)


Irene said...

I'm tagging you for a meme! I don't know if you've done this particular one before, it's about running.
Check out my 6/10/08 post for details.

How many WW points was that tough workout worth??? :)

Michelle said...

You are one tough cookie! Good work. That's going to be a gazillion points!

I'm done

 I fall into old habits pretty easily. I guess because they are something I'm used to even if they don't really work for me anymore....