I always wanted to be that wise old woman. I'm not. I have learned a lot in my time here, but most of what I learned can't be passed on well. Most of the things I've learned have to be learned individually. Also, you have to be open to learning these things and most people are not. So I have learned, especially in the last few days, to keep my hard earned wisdom to myself.
But here are some things I have learned:
- No one can make me think, feel, or do anything I don't want to
- I can't make anyone think, feel, or do anything they don't want to
- I am in control of my thoughts and actions
- Anger is something I just don't have time for
- Looking forward or looking backward takes your eyes off this moment
- All we truly have is this moment
- Exercise is super important, especially as we age
- Working is actually something I truly enjoy and will do as long as possible
- Find pleasure in the small, quiet moments
- Do things that make you happy, life is too short to be unhappy
Is that everything, no. But it's a few of the things I've learned over the years that have really stuck with me. Most of these things didn't come from age but from experience. Which I guess I couldn't have if I didn't get older.
I'm finally comfortable in my own skin and feel like I really know myself. If this is 60 I'll take it.